Monday, January 14, 2013

Salmon n' Bannock


Salmon n' Bannock isn't a new restaurant. It's been around for a couple of years and I've been wanting to check it out. It's a small restaurant on Broadway, a subtle neighbour to the loud signage of Toys R Us (Broadway and Alder). They are a First Nations restaurant- definitely a branch of ethnic food I had never explored.

My pal T Mc had been wanting to check it out as well, and she was working in the area that evening,  so it was an easy decision for a dinner venue. The space is cozy (seats 20?), dimly lit, spotless, and there was only one other party of two dining when we arrived for our 7pm meal. It was decorated with a few framed aboriginal art and there was even a beautiful painted canoe hanging from the season. Service throughout was pleasant, friendly, and prompt. The menu has a wide variety of appetizer, entree, and dessert options- either traditional First Nations (Deer Stew n' bannock) or popular dishes with a First Nations twist (Wild Boar Hot Dog on Bannockette, Bison Indian Tacos.)


I ordered the Red Seafood Chowder n' Bannock ($11). It arrived and I was impressed with the bright, fresh red colour, and the smell. Unfortunately, this dish didn't deliver. Although the ingredients (veggies and seafood) tasted fresh, I found this dish quite flavourless and completely one note. I was really looking forward to the bannock. I liked the harder biscuit-like texture, but again found it really bland and boring. Perhaps a flavoured butter could've saved this for me.


TMc ordered the Salmon n' Bannock Burger ($16); 6oz wild salmon fillet with caper mayo, red onions, and fennel slaw- served with sweet potatoe wedges. She liked the burger ok and thought the bannock bun was an interesting twist. I thought the burger seemed a bit small for $16....it was about the size of a english muffin breakfast sandwich. Interesting to note: when they say sweet potatoe wedges, they actually mean sweet potatoes and not yam fries.


I'm glad that I tried Salmon and Bannock and I might recommend it to someone who was looking to try a completely different type of cuisine, but I won't go out of my way to eat here again. My tastebuds need more flavour.

Salmon n' Bannock on Urbanspoon

No comments: