Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Make your own "West Coast Pockets"


A good buddy of mine just had a birthday and our tight-knit group of girls in the Broadcast/PR world got together to create a birthday buffet of all of her favourite foods. I'm talking home-made caesar salad, guacamole, red velvet cupcakes, baked mac and cheese, oreo cheesecake bars and lots of WINE. She also mentioned that she loves "West Coast Pockets" from Cactus Club. I decided to tackle this and try to make them myself.
After a bit of research, I came across some great online recipes and a video to get me started.
Next up was a trip to Fujiya (an awesome Japanese grocery store on Clark) to buy some Inari wrappers (around $4.50 for 12 wrappers- but you can get cheaper if you are buying bigger quantities), Superstore for Smoked Salmon and Avocados and then I got crackin'.
This is a fun and easy recipe concept to play with....basically stuff the Inari wrappers with sushi rice and whatever you think would taste good inside. I stuck pretty close to the basic Cactus Club concept with thinly sliced smoked salmon, avocado, thinly sliced baby bok choy (I substituted for pea shoots), white rice cooked and seasoned with a little rice wine vinegar, sugar, and salt, and garnished with sesame seeds.
Enjoy!

No comments: