Friday, August 19, 2011

Guest Post: Roaming Dragon Food Truck with an H-Mart Chaser

I really haven't had much of chance to hit many of the food carts in Vancouver, so when my co-worker, "Neil (that's my middle name)", mentioned that he was leaving the office to run errands down town and grab lunch at a food cart, I handed him my camera and requested a guest post. He ended up hitting Roaming Dragon, parked at the busy hub of Robson and Burrard. This was his second experience with RD. The first time he hit the truck he told me he was wow-ed by their Basil Lychee Lemonade and thought their Fried Rice Balls were okay, but were smothered in too much curry sauce. 




This time he ordered a Korean Short Rib Taco ($3) marinated beef short ribs with sesame sauteed spinach, bean sprouts, carrots, and shitake mushrooms, topped with Korean bbq sauce and nori, served in a corn tortilla and a Roaming Dragon Sub with Pork ($6) vietnamese- inspired sub in a french baguettes served with spicy mayo, cilantro, and pickled cucumber, daikon, and carrots.






"There was no line-up whatsoever when I arrived @ 1:00pm. Service was great with a friendly lady at the counter. Food was ready in under 5 minutes.
I found a spot to sit next to the Vancouver Art Gallery and began to chow down. I started with the Roaming Dragon Sub
It was loaded with lots of shredded Carrots/Daikon/Cuccumber, a few sprigs of cilantro and 2 or 3 slabs of cold grey meat(pork) with a spicy mayo. All this was stuffed into a French Style Baguette. I was extremely underwhelmed by the flavor profiles.
I was expecting to be hit by the sweet pickled veggies, hunks of juicy pork, perfectly crunchy Baguette and a zippy spicy aoli instead it felt boring and uninspired( the last 2 or 3 inches were left soggy and dripping juices on my lap).
I ate the Korean Short Rib Taco next. My first bite was greeted with stringy spinach, bean sprouts, shredded carrots, beef that was a little too sweet, and thin slices of dried seaweed on a corn tortilla. It looked pretty but lacked an overall flavor pop. The flavors came across as muddled and not totally sure of themselves. Less is always more in my books."




Not one to end an errand trip downtown on a culinary low note, "Neil (that's my middle name)", decided to grab his favourite go-to snack.







"After this disapointing lunch I decided to drop by H-Mart Bakery to get a
quick pick me up. I found my "Twister" pastry and a nice refreshing Milkis.
The twister has a slightly crunchy sugar coating, with a chewey inside.
Perfect and simple. The Milkis was nice and light, almost like a carbonated
glass of milk with a sweet finish."



Roaming Dragon Food Truck on Urbanspoon

No comments: