Friday, October 8, 2010

Team Bon Burgundy Brunch at Queen's Cross

Last Sunday October 3rd, I participated in the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation CIBC Run for the Cure. This event raises funds and awareness in the fight against breast cancer. I walked the course with Team Bon Burgundy, captain-ed by one of my best friends Tricia who lost her amazing mom Bonnie to breast cancer earlier this year. Together, the team raised a whopping $41, 114 for the cause.
Over 10,000 men, women and children gathered at Concorde Pacific Place to run and walk the 1km and 5km routes in downtown Vancouver in spite of gray skies and a light drizzle.
This year the Vancouver event raised over $1.7 million dollars.
After the event wrapped up, our team headed to the North Shore to the Queen's Cross Pub, where our team captains had booked the second floor of the pub for a team brunch to celebrate a job well done.


There was a large group of us (approx 40) and we only had one server. She did a great job of keeping the drinks coming and was very efficient with sorting out the bill at the end of the meal. We weren't in a big rush since we were all in a good mood and celebrating- but I will say- it took a looooong time for our food to come.I was ready to eat my own arm by the time the food finally reached our table.
I ordered the 2 egg breakfast for 7.99. Pretty standard- 2 eggs any style (I went for poached), 2 sausages or strips of bacon (i went sausage), whole wheat toast, and hashbrowns. Didn't love my eggs- they were served in a side bowl, were kinda puny, and pretty cold when they came out. Sausage and toast were fine- especially when I threw on my stardard condiments and putting everything together. The stand outs of this meal were the side of hot wing sauce that I slathered on everything....I think it was a "Frank's" variety but it was yummy....and the hashbrowns. They were fresh cut nugget potatoes with perfectly crispy skin and chopped green onions. Those were some tasty hashbrowns!!!
I noticed a fellow Bon Burgundy team member enjoying one of the Queen's Cross signature menu items and it looked like a big ol' pocket of hearty comfort. It was a giant yorkshire pudding stuffed with mashed potato, tender roast beef, caramelized onions and the smothered with an au jus gravy.
I know what I'll be ordering for my next visit to the cross.....
I sampled some of my team captain's breakfast cocktail: a Crossbow. A pint of strongbow cider topped with a layer of peach bellini slush. It was icy, cool, refreshing and with a subtle sweetness. This would be perfect for a summer patio!


To learn more about Team Bon Burgundy and the event:
Queens Cross Neighbourhood Pub, Est. 1979
2989 Lonsdale Ave.
North Vancouver, B.C. 

 <a href="http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/1433232/restaurant/Vancouver/Queens-Cross-Pub-North-Vancouver%22%3E%3Cimg alt="Queens Cross Pub on Urbanspoon" src="http://www.urbanspoon.com/b/link/1433232/biglink.gif" style="border:none;width:200px;height:146px" /></a>

No comments: