Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sichuan Peppercorns @Little Szechuan/Golden Spring

It’s no secret to anyone that eats with me on a regular basis. I like my food spicy.



It’s gotten to the point, where a good meal tastes only average unless it’s got an element of spicy heat. I’ve started carrying hot sauce with me in my purse when I go out to dinner parties and asking servers everywhere to bring me a side with every meal (or extra if it already comes with hot sauce).


My colleague (and one of my favourite dining partners) director (who orders for me better than I can order for myself in any asian restaurant) and I started emailing suggestions for places to go for dinner last week. The first suggestion involved the words “Richmond” and “spicy fish hot pot” and I was SOLD!


We had spicy fish hot pot with cucumber salad and lotus root and a couple of Yanjing Beers. The waitress asked how spicy we wanted it with a look of concern. I started to wimp out and ask for medium but director asked for “spicy-spicy.”


This dish certainly delivered- and nearly “out-spiced” me in the first couple of bites. It was chock full of red chilis and deadly little Sichuan peppercorns. The chilis brought the good spice- but the peppercorns made the heat really intense. I was definitely sweating for the first few bites. But the cold Yanjing helped to keep things under control and after my mouth got a bit numb and accustomed to the little peppercorns, I was able to plough through and really enjoy it.


Our sides were awesome- both really basic, fresh, light with savoury lightly spiced sauces. I will definitely try to replicate the cucumber salad at home. By the way- the Yanjing is a must when eating food this spicy!

<a href="http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/762772/restaurant/Vancouver/Richmond-Central/Golden-Spring-Szechuan-Restaurant-Richmond%22%3E%3Cimg alt="Golden Spring Szechuan Restaurant on Urbanspoon" src="http://www.urbanspoon.com/b/link/762772/biglink.gif" style="border:none;width:200px;height:146px" /></a>

No comments: